With just a few days before Easter Sunday, we're dreaming of all the sweets: chocolate bunnies, coated candied almonds, desserts of all shapes, tastes, and sizes. To satisfy this sweet tooth of ours, we invited our favorite dessert queen, Vianney Rodriguez from Sweet Life Bake to hook us up with one of her, and our, favorite recipes.
Vianney shares the story of this Tres Leches Cake recipe on her blog, where she mentions the memories she has of her abuelita making it for her as a little girl.
Now she's sharing this special recipe with you. And to make it extra special for Spring, the twist is the carrots that add a pop of brightness to this Tres Leches Carrot Cake.
Tres Leches Carrot Cake with La Lechera:
For Carrot Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 14 oz can Nestle La Lechera sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Diced pineapple
For Candied Carrots:
- 2 medium peeled carrots
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 9x13 pan with non stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Fold in carrots, drained pineapple, raisins and walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake bakes make tres leches cream.
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk and ground cinnamon.
- Once cake is baked, remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan.
- Carefully remove cake from pan, using parchment paper and place in serving platter.
- Poke top of cake with fork to create small holes and slowly pour tres leches mixture over entire cake.
- Refrigerate cake overnight.
- Before serving make whipped topping.
- Whisk heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Top cake with freshly whipped cream and garnish with candied carrots.
For Candied Carrots:
- Using a large grater, grate carrots strips.
- In a medium saucepan combine water and sugar; bring to a boil to dissolve sugar.
- Add carrots strips; reduce heat and cook strips for 15 minutes.
- Remove carrots strip with a slotted spoon to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- With a fork separate carrots strips or they will clump together and break when separated.
- Cool completely and use to garnish tres leches cake.
For all the details, check out Vianney's full Tres Leches Carrot Cake recipe here!
Are you baking something special to celebrate this Easter? Let us know if you try this delicious recipe. Share with us in the comments below.